Manicuring companies are businesses that provide services related to the care and beautification of nails, such as cutting, shaping, polishing, painting, and applying artificial nails. Manicuring companies can operate as standalone salons, spas, or franchises, or they can offer mobile or online services to customers. In this text, we will explore the current state and trends of the manicuring industry in the United States, as well as some of the top companies in this field.
According to a report by IBISWorld, the nail salon industry in the United States generated $9.4 billion in revenue in 2021, with an annual growth rate of 2.7% from 2016 to 2021. The industry employed about 237,000 people across 56,000 businesses. The report attributed the growth of the industry to the increasing disposable income of consumers, the rising demand for specialty services such as gel and acrylic nails, and the expansion of franchised chains that offer low-cost and convenient services.
Some of the factors that affect the performance and profitability of manicuring companies in the United States are the level of competition, the degree of regulation, the availability of skilled labor, and the changing preferences and expectations of customers. For example, manicuring companies face competition from other beauty services providers such as hair salons, barber shops, and massage parlors, as well as from home-based or DIY nail care products and kits. Manicuring companies also have to comply with various federal, state, and local regulations regarding health and safety standards, licensing requirements, environmental protection, and labor laws. Moreover, manicuring companies need to recruit and retain qualified and experienced nail technicians who can deliver high-quality and customized services to customers. Additionally, manicuring companies have to adapt to the evolving trends and innovations in the nail care industry, such as new products, designs, techniques, and technologies.
Some of the top manicuring companies in the United States are:
- Lu Ross Academy: Founded in 1954, Lu Ross Academy is a beauty school that offers courses in cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, makeup artistry, and manicuring. The academy also operates a salon that provides manicuring services to clients at affordable prices. The academy is located in Ventura, California.
- Evergreen Beauty College: Established in 1996, Evergreen Beauty College is a family-owned beauty school that offers programs in cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, makeup artistry, instructor training, and manicuring. The college also operates salons that provide manicuring services to clients at discounted prices. The college has campuses in Everett, Renton, Bellevue, and Yakima in Washington.
- Caesars Southern Indiana: Opened in 1998 as Horseshoe Southern Indiana Casino Hotel & Spa (renamed Caesars Southern Indiana in 2019), Caesars Southern Indiana is a casino resort that features a hotel, a golf course, a spa, a sportsbook and several restaurants and bars. The spa offers manicuring services to guests along with other treatments such as massages, facials, and body wraps.
- Golden Nugget Hotels & Casinos: Founded in 1946 by Guy McAfee (a former Los Angeles police captain), Golden Nugget Hotels & Casinos is a chain of luxury hotels and casinos that operates locations in Las Vegas, Laughlin, Atlantic City, Biloxi, and Lake Charles. The hotels and casinos feature spas that offer manicuring services to guests along with other amenities such as pools, fitness centers, and entertainment venues.
- The University of Pittsburgh: Founded in 1787 as Pittsburgh Academy (renamed The University of Pittsburgh in 1908), The University of Pittsburgh is a public research university that offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in various fields of study. The university also operates a salon that provides manicuring services to students, faculty,
staff, and visitors at reasonable rates. The salon is located on the Oakland campus of the university.
My own manicuring salon
If you have a passion for nail art and beauty, you might be interested in opening your own manicuring salon in the USA. A manicuring salon is a place where customers can get their nails done by professional nail technicians, who can offer various services such as manicures, pedicures, nail extensions, nail polish, nail art and more. A manicuring salon can be a profitable and rewarding business, but it also requires careful planning, preparation and investment. Here are some steps to help you start your own manicuring salon in the USA:
1. Decide on your niche and target market. There are many types of manicuring salons, such as traditional, spa, mobile, eco-friendly, etc. You need to choose a niche that suits your skills, preferences and budget, as well as the needs and wants of your potential customers. For example, if you want to offer a convenient and affordable service to busy professionals, you might consider opening a mobile nail salon that can travel to different locations . If you want to attract customers who value natural and organic products, you might opt for an eco-friendly nail salon that uses environmentally friendly materials and practices.
2. Create a business plan. A business plan is a document that outlines your goals, strategies, costs and projections for your manicuring salon. It helps you organize your ideas, identify your strengths and weaknesses, analyze your market and competitors, and secure funding from investors or lenders. You can use online templates or software to help you create a professional and comprehensive business plan for your manicuring salon.
3. Obtain the necessary licenses and permits. To operate a manicuring salon in the USA, you need to obtain a cosmetology or manicuring license from your state board of cosmetology . This license requires you to complete a certain number of hours of training at an approved cosmetology school and pass a written and practical exam. You also need to apply for a salon license from your state board of cosmetology, which requires you to meet certain health and safety standards for your salon premises and equipment . Additionally, you need to register your business name and structure with your state and local authorities, obtain an employer identification number (EIN) from the IRS, and apply for any other licenses or permits required by your state or local laws.
4. Find a suitable location and equipment. The location of your manicuring salon is one of the most important factors for your success. You need to find a location that is accessible, visible, safe and attractive to your target market. You also need to consider the size, layout, design and rent of the space. You can either lease or buy an existing space or build a new one from scratch. Once you have secured a location, you need to purchase or lease the necessary equipment for your manicuring salon, such as nail tables, chairs, lamps, tools, products, etc.
5. Hire and train staff. Depending on the size and scope of your manicuring salon, you might need to hire staff to help you run your business. You need to hire qualified nail technicians who have the skills, experience and license to perform nail services . You might also need to hire receptionists, managers, bookkeepers or other support staff. You need to train your staff on how to provide excellent customer service, follow health and safety protocols, use the equipment and products properly, etc.
6. Set your prices and services. You need to determine what services you will offer at your manicuring salon and how much you will charge for them. You need to research your market and competitors to find out what they are offering and charging . You need to set prices that are competitive but also profitable for you. You also need to consider offering discounts, packages or memberships to attract and retain customers.
7. Promote your business. You need to market your manicuring salon to generate awareness and interest among your target market . You can use various methods of promotion such as word-of-mouth referrals, social media marketing, online advertising, flyers, coupons, etc. You need to create a unique brand identity for your manicuring salon that reflects your niche, values and personality. You also need to create a website that showcases your services, prices, location, contact information etc.
8. Manage your finances. You need to keep track of your income and expenses for your manicuring salon . You need to create a budget that estimates how much money you will spend on rent, utilities, salaries, taxes etc., as well as how.
Although this title company information portal is still in development and programming, companies can already present themselves on their own page. Simply fill out the form under "Add Company".
We are constantly striving to expand the content with additional useful information and to provide new functionality. With a special interest or your own ideas to improve this portal just send us a message via “Contact”.
If you even want to write articles for this site or you want to publish your own articles specifically on the topics in this site, just send us a message via “Contact”. You are very welcome here.